Sunday, May 5, 2013

Hazards Along Our Path

I love to play golf.

The most intimidating part of the game for me is the sand.  The more sand traps there are on a hole, the more I think about the sand traps. And the more I think about the sand traps, the greater the chance I will end up in one.

Then again, the most intimidating part of the game for me is the water. The more ditches and lakes and ponds full of water, the more I think about the ditches and lakes and ponds full of water.  And the more I think about the ditches and lakes and ponds full of water, the greater the chance I will end up in one. 

So - I focus on the green and the hole and picture my golf ball dropping into the hole.  I am aware of the sand traps and water hazards but I take care to avoid them and focus on the goal of getting the ball into the hole - with the least amount of strokes.  Hmm - great in theory - but in reality it does more often than not work out for me. 

The same is true for any risk we undertake. There will always be hazards and obstacles along the way. As long as we are aware of them we can take the steps to avoid them or prepare for them as much as possible. Sometimes they will still catch us, ones we didn't even consider possible, but more often than not we will be successful in spite of the obstacles in front of us.

Remember though - sometimes the obstacles we imagine will pop up on our journey don't always become an issue. So don't let the fear of a slim possibility keep you from taking the first step on your risk taking journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment