Monday, May 13, 2024

Four Way Stop


 

I was at an intersection in our neighborhood with a four-way stop. As I started to make a left turn when it was my turn I stopped suddenly halfway through my turn. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a young teen running on the sidewalk toward the intersection. And as he neared the intersection, he showed no sign of slowing down. So, I paused, waiting to see what he would do when he reached the edge of the sidewalk. He just kept running - not even stopping for a glimpse of the traffic or to check if anyone was going to let him cross. 

I was so glad I stopped. Had I been on my phone moments before I turned I might not have seen him coming.  Had I not stopped - I might have hit him.

I could tell the truck driver to my left had no idea why I was stopping in the middle of my turn and he was probably a bit upset I was stopped directly in front of him. I can only assume as I was focused on the intersection situation and not what other drivers were thinking. The truck driver could not see behind him and probably didn't see the teen run into the street. I'm not sure how many other drivers actually did.

And therein lies one of our greatest problems. 

We are not paying attention and staying aware of our surroundings.

We are making assumptions when others act - and usually we aren't thinking the best of them - silently calling them names in our head - or maybe out loud!

But what if we put our phones down? What if we paid attention to our surroundings and what was going on around us and paid attention more closely to others and how they were feeling and checked in with them? What if...?

How much better would our world be and our relationships and our lives?

Stop - Look - Listen!

No comments:

Post a Comment